If you want to know about completely about the world, you need to learn about 7 specific continents and 5 oceans. Well, it is not necessary that you should learn each and everything about these places. You can also enhance your knowledge about the world by reading some interesting facts. There are many wonderful facts about continents and oceans that you must be unaware of and must have not spent time for reading them. Certainly, you must not get time for knowing about the world. By considering all these things, I have created an article that covers various amazing facts about continents. I am assure, with these fantastic facts, you can surely improve your knowledge about the world and also get to know, what are the 7 continents and some interesting facts related to them.
Continents Formation Fact
Scientists believed that about 250 years ago, several land masses and rocks formed into a supercontinent called Pangaea. Sudden movements of tectonic plates and volcanic eruptions led to the emergence of seven continents. These continents are still experiencing movement and can form a new supercontinent in the future. We can only wait and see what will happen in the future.
Interesting Facts about Africa
- This is the planet where the first men lived and founded several tools to be used
- This second largest continent is also known as Dark Continent as it remained unknown to men for a very long period.
- This continent has 54 independent countries and some sovereign states
- This is the planet where the Sahara Desert and The Nile River is located
- This is a very rich continent that contains diamonds, gold, bauxite, aluminum, zinc, etc
Interesting Facts about Asia
- The largest continent, Africa provides the home to about 3.5 billion people.
- The 10 highest mountain peaks of the world are located on this planet. Among, all, the highest is Mount Everest (8848) meters.
- This continent is known for two popular civilizations – Harrapan and Chinese
- The 4 religions – Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam and Christianity that we know today was started on this continent
- The factors that generate global growth also come from Asia. It is the population and income growth that performs this thing.
Interesting Facts about South America
- Here is the fourth largest continent that has 6.89 million square miles area
- The world’s largest river – Amazon and world’s highest waterfall – The Angel Falls are located on this planet
- The highest volcanoes of world – Mt. Cotopaxi and Mt. Chimborazo are also found in South America.
- This planet contains a popular country called Brazil that produces coffee for the entire world.
- Anaconda, one of the world’s largest snakes also live on this continent
Interesting Facts about North America
- Also called “New World,” this continent contains twice the area of Europe
- More than 20% of the world’s total dairy products come from North America
- “The sugar bowl of the world” Cuba, the country that produces sugar for the world is found on this continent.
- The world’s largest economy and a popular developed country called the USA is also located in North America
- This is the place where famous companies such as Facebook, Apple, and Google exist.
Interesting Facts about Europe
- The name Europe is derived from “Europa” a Phoenician Princess.
- Both the world wars were particularly fought in several areas of Europe
- Two sports – Cricket and Golf were invented in Scotland and Britain that are popular countries in Europe
- In this continent, you can experience an unusual festival called Tomatina Festival ( in which participants throw tomatoes towards each other)
- The world’s smallest country called Vatican City is also located in Europe.
Interesting Facts about Australia
- This is the smallest but a developed continent that is known for its high-quality sports, education, commerce and other sectors
- Australia is known for its wool and Eucalyptus trees
- The Great Barrier Reef which is the world’s largest coral reef is in Australia
- Also known as island continent, Australia contains 6 independent states and 2 countries
- The three common animals of Australia include Platypus, Emu, and Kangaroo
Must Read : How to prepare for MAT.
Interesting Facts about Antarctica
- More than 70% of this frozen continent is covered with ice
- Antarctica is also known as the windiest continent in the world
- Unlike human beings, only insects like a wingless midge and birds like Penguins live on this continent
- -89.2 degree Celsius is the coldest natural temperature ever recorded on Antarctica
- It is believed that area and landmass is continuously changing with the change in seasons. The area which was present in the summer season tends to double in the winter season.
There are many amazing facts about continents that you need to know for learning entirely about the world. The Sahara Desert and The Nile is in Africa. More than 3.5 billion people live in Asia and play a crucial in generating the global growth. Mt. Cotopaxi and Mt. Chimborazo, two popular volcanoes and a popular country called Brazil is in South America. The “New World” (North America) provides the home to a developed country called the USA and “The smallest bowl of the world” called Cuba. A major portion of Antarctica is covered with ice and so is unsuitable for life. So, know these amazing facts for acquiring complete knowledge about the world.